You have purchased P90X or have already begun the program. You have seen the infomercial and the stories online but you wonder, how did these people get the results that they did? As a Beachbody and P90X coach I am here to help. I have comprised 5 simple rules for you to get the most out of P90X so you can get in the best shape of your life. Remember, results can vary but if you follow these below you will get most out of this incredible program.
P90X Rules of Success:
1. Nutrition: I listed nutrition number one because I believe that it is the most important. In my opinion getting extreme results comes from 80% nutrition and 20% intense workouts. P90X supplies both. The nutrition guide that comes with the program is an incredible blueprint for getting results. It provides the amount of calories you need, A 3 phase nutrition plan, the foods you should eat, when you should eat them, recipes for meals, and the ratios of protein/carbohydrates/fats you should eat based on what your goals happen to be. Eating the right amount of calories, with the right proteins/fats/carbs/veggies/fruits/snacks at the right times is a key factor in getting the results your after. All you have to do is read and follow the guide. But you still have questions? That’s where I come in. As an Independent Beachbody coach I am here to help you, all you have to do is sign up to receive help CLICK HERE to sign up for free.
2. Having the Proper Equipement: P90X doesn’t need a lot of equipement. All you need is a Pull-up Bar , Weights and/or Resistance Bands. The most important thing is the have the right amount of Weight/Resistance! Far to often I get emails from my team members that are using 10 lb or 20lb dumbbells for the whole program. This isn’t going to be enough to get the best results. Different muscle groups require different amounts of resistance in order to get stronger. Your back is stronger than your biceps for example. P90X will get make you stronger. You will need to progress the amount of resistance you use as your strength increases in order to get the best results.
What do I use? I use both Adjustable dumbbells and resistance bands. Adjustable dumbbells are a great way to save money and space. Some of the most popular are Bowflex Select Tech and Power Blocks. If you can’t afford the free weights then Resistance bands are for you! Make sure you get at least 2 tensions. The Super and Extreme kits can be found in the “Gear” section.
3. Proper Supplements: You have gotten your nutrition down and now you need the right supplements. Fortunately P90X and Beachbody provide all the supplements that you need to get the best results. Whey Protein, P90X recovery drink (post workout), Shakeology, P90X Multivitamin, P90X protein bars, Omega 3s are all supplements to consider. They are all made specifically for P90X by nutritionist such as Mark Sisson and Steve Edwards. Optional supplements would be Creatine or a pre-workout supplement like Xpand Xtreme Pump. If you are wondering more about these see the supplement section or read “My Current Supplements“. I will be updating my supplements page very soon.
4. Consistency/Dedication: When you start P90X you are committing to a 90 day program. You must follow the schedule and be consistent with both the workouts and your nutrition to get the greatest results. A great way to do this is to set goals. Set 30, 60, and 90 day goals. Whether it be being able to do 10 pull ups, losing 30lbs, or gaining 10, setting goals will help you stay on the path to success. A great way to hold yourself accountable is to use the P90X workout sheets . As for nutrition A tool that I use is called FitDay, a food logging website which allows you to keep track of the amount of calories, as well as the % of protein/carbs/fat you take in daily. Will it be tough at first? Yes. Will there be days you don’t want to workout? Yes. But each day you do the program you take one step closer to your ultimate health and fitness goal. Remember I am here to help you through this. Make sure you reach out to me for motivation and help.
5. Having a P90X Coach: The P90X community is one of the greatest health and fitness communities around. When I first started P90X I found a coach that got the results I was after and signed up with him. He helped me Tremendously. Any question I had he was there to help. After I saw great results using the program I wanted to help others as well, so I signed up to be a P90X coach. As an Independent Beachbody Coach I am here to motivate, support, a help you reach your health and fitness goals. I have learned more from others than I have on my own. If you have any questions feel free to email me. SCaL11083@beachbodycoach.com or you can sign up for me as your Coach for FREE. You can also talk to others on my Private Fitness Group or come say hi to me on Facebook. www.facebook.com/seandcallahan
I’m about to finish up my first round of P90X and am going to jump right into a 2nd round. Should I begin with the phase 2 workouts to stick with the theme of muscle confusion, or go by the book and use the phase 1 schedule? The only reason I ask is because phases 1 and 3 are the same.
Flex86 The phase 3 schedule is different than phase 1. Look closely. In phase 3 you are alternating weeks. So typically I would tell you go to right into phase 1 again. But if you are doing phase 1 currently by mistake then go on and do phase 2.
Hey sean, i have the program and everything and i have been doing it for the past few weeks, ive dropped about 7 pounds and i just am not sure that im doing it right. I thought 1-6 were the harder ones and i excluded the other ones. Can you explain how the workout schedule goes?
@Josh: Nice man! There is a workout schedule that comes with P90X. Do you have that? If not then go ahead of google P90X schedule and you can see exactly what it looks like.
Hey Sean, I am taking P90x that i have started yesterday i'm taking Super N.O. Kryptonite pre-workout and taking the P90x recovery formula post-workout i also have whey protein i know to take the pre workout before and post workout after but how often should i drink the whey protein a day and what time of the day if i start my workouts right when i wake up around 7:00. If you could help me thank you/
@Michael: You can take the protein powder anytime you need protein. I would definitely recommend you take 1 scoop with yoru recovery drink on resistance days. You can also take it pre workout (30 mins prior to working out)
Hey Sean, Great article. How do you incorporate Shakeology? I used to get recovery formula but now I switched to Shakeology and Gold Standard whey. I do 2 scoops whey + 1 scoop Shakeology post workout and somedays I do 1 scoop for breakfast only. My goal is fat loss. Thanks!
@Howard: You can incorporate Shakeology either as a snack or meal. I use it as a snack currently. I acutally use the P90X recovery drink post workout still.
ive been on the gain mass workout for 3 weeks and been seeing results so far thanks to your blogs etc. i just have one question, am i suppose to take the kre alkalyn on stretch days pre and post workout? or just strictly for the other workouts? ive been currently taking it 6 days out the week.
@Chris: That's great! Glad you are seeing results. Yes you are, but no pre or post on stretch days. Also hit me up on facebook
Thanks Sean! btw, I tried to join your team, but I couldn't make you my coach; I live in Mexico, and it seems like teambeachbody's subscription format doesn't accept my personal information if it is not from USA or Canada. What can I do? Thanks again!
Hi Sean I would like to know what weights you used (how much for back, for chest, for arms,etc.) I'm about to start with P90X and I´d like to get results similar to yours. Thank you for your help.
@Ivan: I use adjustable dumbbells that go from 10-50lbs in increments of 5 lbs. Those are great for all of those exercises. I can use a lot more than 50lbs now for my back but I am mostly a pull up guy now so I don't really need it.
Sean. I just tried the shakeology chocolate shake. It's by far the best tasting chocolate supplement that I have ever had! Much better than muscle milk and ion whey gold.
@Nikki: it should be in the "Join My Team" section on my site. It will be listed with instructions if you already have a coach, how to switch. That's weird it didn't assign me. I need to make sure my link is correct. Which did you use?
Thanks so much -- I am joing now! I am excited -- One more questions -- I am looking at the programs -- And I am looking at doing the lean or doubles - Do you prefer one more than the other?
Wow -- Really informative. I just ordered the p90x - Should get it today! yay! I have been trying to figure out some tips to get the most out of it. Any tips for beginners to keep from getting discouraged in the beginning?
@Nikki: The best tip I can give is to make sure you join my team (above) and I will add you to my fitness group so I can help you stay motivated. my fitness group also is a great place to get support and motivation.
hey sean, i was 280lbs when i started the p90 program. when i was at the ideal weight to start the p90x program and could do it, now i am 194lbs and, have been doing the program now for 6-7 months and feel great! i just have a little bit of extra skin around my chest and lower stomach. underneath all that i can tell i am ripped. my ? is how do i get rid of that extra skin so that i can be defined? hope u can help! thanks,
@Eric: Wow, congrats on your progress so far! it sounds like you have really come a long way and done everything correctly. Great job man. There are some things you can do in order to get rid of that final layer that your trying to get rid of. Send me a message or email me at email@example.com and I will help ya out.
i was 280 lbs, i started out on the p90 program. when i got down to the ideal weight and, could do the p90x program. now i have been doing it for about 6-7 months now. i am all most there ,im at 193 lbs now . i was just wondering ... how do i lose just the little bit of extra skin around my chest and lower stomach? its not much , but i can tell that i am ripped under there . how can i get rid of it? hope u can help! thanks,
I Love doing my fitness training program in the morning . It gives me energy throughout the day. If my workouts were highly intense, I feel great all day long. Supplements are not really necessary with the proper bodybuilding exercise , really good nutrition program and the proper rest.
@Alex: The best advice I can give you is to figure out your "why". Why do you want to get healthy/fit? It has to be more than just looking good though. Because that will only take you so far. Once you have that then you need to schedule in the 1 hour per day that it takes into your day. Make an appointment for yourself to workout. That will be your time no matter what. Remember to take to 1 day at a time. You didn't get out of shape over night, so you won't get in shape overnight. It takes time, self control, and dedication. It is a marathon not a sprint. Sign up for me as your coach, (its free), and I will help keep you accountable. Contact me if you need more help!
Hey, I have tried to get going on P90X for a long time now. I would do it for a while but then stuff just kept getting in the way. Do you have any good motivational ideas to actually help me stick it through? (I get discouraged because I seem really out of shape). Also do you have a good diet plan for a broke college kid? A lot of the things mentioned before I can't afford.
Great website. A bunch of useful information. What levels of tension resistance bands would you reccomend for the program?
@grant: I usually recommend 20lb-50lb. Buying 2 bands is the best way to go. Both at different tensions. The Super Kit is the one I recommend from my site. Hope that helps!
@Josh: I can help you tailor a program like P90X in order for you to build mass. Also check out my topic "Gaining Mass with P90X"
Hi there, Great site, Ive got another great blog id like to share with you been following the articles these guys are writing about protein supplements and the like and Ive spoken to Chris who owns the company and they are testing all of their supplements and reviewing them, he is currently using Biotest Hot Rox and is writing a month review of the results hes getting. Have a look at the site and hope its some use to you. keep blogging!
Currently this is a nice website with data a lot of and a lot of individuals are trying for. I will actually return back additional often.
Ahh another success of the great p90x, Everything this man lists is probably the most proper way to get the job done and most efficient. Thanks for the extra information its very helpful
Hey great results can you email me your diet plan i already have the mass i just need the definition thanks
@Oz: You can find my diet when in the "nutrition" section of my blog, http://getrippedathome.com/2009/05/20/my-current-diet/ . If you need help tailoring the P90X nutrition plan I can help ya out. email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Funny how every supplement you list is made by beachbody. If I didn't know better, I'd say you're getting a kickback from Beachbody...oh wait...
@ Pete: These are the supplements that I have used to get the results that I got, along with others that I have helped. Beachbody makes great products, so its easy to recommend them. If you notice in my supplements post I list Kre-Alkalyn as a creatine supplement I have used, along with Xpand Xtreme Pump, which are both non beachbody products. I also have used a ton of different protein powders. I wanted to give examples of which types of supplements to get. I hope this was helpful.